Diego Armando Maradona the Magician of Football, the Argentine player who is a legend on the field. It’s his 57th birthday. Born on 30th October 1960 at Lanus in Buenos Aires, Maradona played football for 18 years of his life. He was such a good player that his mates used to say that the ball seemed to be tied with his shoes. He was legendary in the fields and in his personal life as well, Cheating, Drug Abuse, Health Issues; his life was nothing less than a movie script. Here are some unknown facts of this legendary actor’s life that you want to know-
10 Unknown facts about Diego Maradona
- Diego Maradona had record transfer money twice in his playing career.
- His father Diego Maradona ‘Chitoro’ and mother Dalma Salvadora Franco ‘Doña Tota both were illegitimate children, so Maradona is of Italian, Spanish, Croatian Indigenous Argentinean ancestry.
- He debuted for Argentina’s Junior club just 2 weeks before his 16th Birthday.
- He has played 167 matches for Argentina Junior Team and has scored 115 goals in a time span of 5 years.
- In the year of 1, 83 he broke his ankle from a tackle by Athletic Bilbao’s Andoni Goikoetxea, which almost ended his career.
- The stadium that he debuted at has been named after him.
- In 1982 World Cup quarter-final against England Maradona dribbled the ball pass 5 English players with 11 touches, covering half the field and scored a goal. The goal has been voted as the goal of the century in 2002 by an online poll conducted by FIFA.
- Maradona’s participation in 1994 World Cup was cut short because he failed them in the drug test. And his drug abuse has been the real Evil Eye on his career. He has also escaped a few near-death experience.
- Maradona suffered from Obesity and he was 127 kgs at a point of time and had gone under a surgery to lose some of the fat.
- In the year of 2002, FIFA conducted an internet-based poll to select FIFA Player of the Century. He won the award with 53.6% vote.
No matter how low his life went this legendary player always kept his hopes high and lived a life that is as legendary as his name on the fields. Here’s the greatest footballer of all time. Let’s wish more power and good health for him.